Vastu in Sanskrit means nature , a surrounding or environment. The word “Vastu” came from Vastu, denoting anything existing such as house, shelter,building etc. Shastra in sanskrit means systems. Vastu shastra is an ancient art and science, containing principles and practices of constructing buildings which ensures a harmonious balance between man and nature and thereby bring all round happiness,health,wealth and prosperity.
Ancient sages of India laid down several principles for constructing buildings taking advantage of the nature,the Pancha Bhootas namely Earth, Space, Air, Fire and water, gravitational and magnetic effects and rotational influences of Sun,Moon,Earth and other planets on the life in Earth with a view to bring balance and harmony between man, nature and his buildings and thereby ensuring peace,prosperity,and happiness. These principles, called Vastu Shastra,were evolved over thousands of years out of experience and foresight of ancient Sages of India and are very valuable for the well being of man-kind. According to Shastras, if we worship, revere and respect the lords of these eight directions,they will shower on us their blessings and benefits
- Esshan ie Ishwar(North-east) – He grants us wisdom,knowledge and serve all comforts and relieves us from sufferings.
- Indra(East) – He is the king of angels. He gives wealth and all pleasures of life.
- Agni/Fire(South-east) – He gives us beautiful personality and all the best of life.
- Yamaa or Yamaha(South) – He is god of death.He is embodiment of dharma.He eradicates evils and grants all good things.
- Nissan or Niruti (South-west) – He vanishes fear about our enemies.
- Varun(West) – He is god of rain. He showers his blessings through rain and brings prosperity and pleasure in life all round.
- Vayu/Wind(North-west) – He bestows on us long life,health and strength.He is the basic of all life.
- Kuber(North) – He is god of wealth.He grants us wealth and all comforts of life.