The term Gua Sha is comprised of two Chinese words: Gua, meaning to rub or scrape, and Sha, a type of stagnant energy that causes excess heat to build within the body. Taken together, the term Gua Sha means the act of rubbing the skin to remove an energy blockage. According to traditional Chinese medicine theory, by bringing heat to the skin surface, Gua Sha, releases the blocked energy and heat.
Gua Sha is usually applied to the back, buttocks and posterior surfaces of the neck, shoulders, arms and legs.
It can be used to:
- Reduce fever
- Treat Common cold or influenza
- Treat fatigue
- Cure cough, asthma and bronchitis
- Relieve muscle tension and tendon injuries
- Improve blood circulation
- Cure Headache
- Treat stiffness, pain and immobility
- Resolves digestive disorders
- Cure urinary and gynaecological disorders
Besides Health benefits, there are increasing practice among beauty salons that incorporates Gua Sha as facial to retain youthful look and increase skin radiance. Facial Gua Sha is normally combined with facial cleanser and scalp massage. Consistent strokes are applied using a specially designed Gua Sha board along specific channels and acupuncture points on the skin of the face.
It helps in combating dark skin, Pigmentation and dark circles for long term. Going regularly for Gua sha may promote new skin cells growth and renew complexion. It can effectively reduce clogged pores, control acne and pimples and reduce acne scars. It helps in tightening the skin and reduces fine lines.
Main Benefits of Gua Sha
- Promotes movement of Qi
- Improves blood circulation
- Restore normal metabolic process
- Ease chronic and acute pain